Subject: Re: Antisemitic statements at USENET

From: [email-masked] (Dimitri Vulis, CUNY GC Math)
Date: 5 Feb 1994 02:28:52 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Vlad Lissine) writes:
>You, guys still imply your double standard for "evrej" and "neevrej" as 
>well as "svoi" and "chuzhoi" - and because of it what you write about rules
>is just idealistic blah-blah-blah written to show everybody how good you are.
Vlad, I agree with you 100%. But why waste your breath (or rather, amortize
your keyboard), saying things that everyone already knows? I've been saying
this for 4 years on Usenet, and I got tired.

The fact is that on Usenet, if someone posts something even a little bit
contraversial, some asshole will complain to a sysadmin, or better yet, some
executive who doesn't know Usenet from his girlfriend's behind, accusing the
poster of all mortal sins and usually making up much of the complaint. SCS is
much better in this respect than some other newsgroups. I don't know who came
up with this romantic notion of not complaining to sysadmins on SCS, but the
guy's a liar (well, there are many of those on the net...) Vlad, you did the
right thing by complaing about "Virvir". By the way, they said he's not
allowed to post here anymore, so how come we're seeing his mug here again?

To expect that you can post anything you like to the net with your name on it
and not be held respondible (in terms of nutcases looking up your name in the
phone book and calling you with death threats) is unrealistic. To expect that
you can post contraversial articles from your place of employment (as Hryyysha
did), and the employer won't react to these complaints is stupid. To expect
that some group of population can post vile personal attacks and not be held
responsible, while the "outsiders" ("hazerim", non-purebred Jews, etc) will
play by the other group's rules and not Usenet rules is both stupid and racist.

So, if you are planning to post something contraversial, don't be stupid and
use your real name. Use the anon server or forge. Forgery is a time-honored
tradition on Usenet and is quite easy. Yes, some "insiders" will squeal if the
"outsiders" do it, but who cares? "They" do it.

If someone is stupid enough to post something you don't like using their real
name, feel free to complain to his sysadmin and don't feel quilty. "They" do.
(Unfortunately, most sysadmins toss such complaints these days.)

You may recall one vile flamer, a paranoid Jewish racist, and a self-described
winner of the Nobel Prize and a McArthur scholoarship (i.e., an obviously sick
guy), who used to post all sorts of dirty lies about me on Usenet for a while
(I won't defile my keyboard by typing his name). He used to post long articles
with titles like "Vulis and the KGB" and "Who is Vulis", saying that I'm a KGB
agent (sure :), am gay (not true), discuss my genitals in Usenet postings (not
true), am an anti-Semite (sure :), that I've been expelled from UCBerkeley for
"lack of mathematical abilities" (I've never been expelled from anywhere and
have been to UCB once in my life as a tourist), that I've been rejected from
UCB's PHD program (I've never applied anywhere except CUNY for a graduate
program, and have never had anything to do with UCB --- I don't know what was
his hangup with that place, perhaps because of another Jewish racist there),
that I've been rejected for a job at SRI [where he _used_ to work, see below]
(I've never applied and am not interested in a job at SRI), that I've been
snooping around SRI (not true, according to his superiors), that I am a U.S.
representative of Relcom (not true), calling me names like "useful idiot" and
"Mudilo Vulgaris". He's also sent me numerous harassing private e-mail, and
later denied writing it. Well, eventually I got tired of this and sent copies
of some of this to his computer center people. They wrote me back that he was
about to have an unpleasant meeting with his boss and his boss's boss...
And we haven't heard from him on Usenet in a while. :)

The other day I recevied a threatening phone call from someone claiming to be
this indivudual. I went to a police station and filed an aggravated harassment
complaint against him. (I don't know what his criminal record looks like in
terms of welfare fraud, but he might get arrested if I hear from him again. :)
So, I am a firm believer in complaints to authorities and applaud your actions.

Compute safely,
Dimitri Vulis
CUNY GC Math
[email-masked] [email-masked]

Disclaimer: my Usenet postings don't necessarily represent anyone's views,
especially my own and/or CUNY's.